The New Kitchenhoarder!

Hello everyone! Kitchenhoarder has a shiny new home at kitchen hoarder.com

Dragonfruit and Makkoli Sorbet



It's October already! I mean, what?? How has this year slip through my fingers like that? It is completely terrifying how fast time passes. I know that in theory, everyone knows this, but when you stop and think how sometimes it feels like you can't catch up with time, it is scary.


I remember New Year's 2012 like it was yesterday, and making all these resolutions and plans for the year. And yeah, I've had a pretty good year so far, and I've achieved a lot of what I wanted to, but I can't help but feel there's such a long way to go yet.


When I was young, I couldn't wait to grow up. Yes, I was one of those annoying precocious kids who thought they were an adult. Well, you know what, child-me, being an adult isn't all that fun. I wish I could just sit around in the garden, running around and eating ice cream, not caring about whether it was healthy, or whether I can afford my rent.



This is a nice little sorbet, but I must admit not very child-friendly, considering it's made with Korean rice wine beer, or Makkoli. But, alcohol is probably one of the best perks of adulthood, so let's hang on to that.

Dragonfruit makes a really refreshing sorbet - it's not tasteless, but lends a perfume rather than full-on flavour. It blends so well with the slightly yeasty, slightly fizzy taste of Makkoli. So in the spirit of trying to hold on to time a little more firmly, here's a resolutely summery Sorbet recipe.

Dragonfruit and Makkoli Sorbet
Makes enough for 4-6

This recipe is about volume ratios, so I've given what I used, but you can easily modify the amounts as long as you keep the ratio the same - 4 parts cubed fruit, 2 parts Makkoli, and 1 part sugar.

2 cups Makkoli
1 cup caster sugar
4 cups Dragonfruit, diced into 1-inch square cubes

In a blender, pulse the dragonfruit cubes with the sugar until blended, but be careful not to overblend, so that you keep most of the seeds intact.

Mix the dragonfruit puree with the Makkoli and transfer to a prepared ice-cream machine to churn for about 20-30 minutes. This makes a soft sorbet, so it will need to firm up in the freezer for another 2 hours.


No comments:

Post a Comment